The freezing mercury got us trying EVERYTHING to keep us warm. We’re making bottomless batches of this decadent, frothy TURMERIC HOT COCOA for a little kick.
With the goodness of antioxidant-rich turmeric, and a dash of pepper for better curcumin absorption (read more on this wonder polyphenol below), this is truly a cup full of chocolatey wellness. Trust us, you can’t stop at one glass!
Curcumin is the key active polyphenol compound found in the turmeric spice. It originates from the root of Curcuma longa, a species of the ginger family. It is used to effectively treat respiratory, digestive, skin and other aches and pains as part of ancient medicine. It is still used in herbal medicine and consumed widely for its benefits. Due to the high concentration of antioxidants, curcumin has strong anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties. It is this compound that gives turmeric it’s distinct yellow colour and pungent taste.
2.5 cups milk of choice (we used almond milk)
100g 85% Dark Chocolate
3 tbsp maple syrup (add more as per taste)
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon
A pinch of black pepper
- Add the milk to a hot pan and bring to a slight boil.
- Next, add dark chocolate and Almond Butter, and stir until the chocolate is melted and completely incorporated into the milk.
- Stir in the maple syrup and turmeric until well combined.
- Finally, add in the cinnamon and black pepper.
- Pour into a mug and serve piping hot! Enjoy.