We’re celebrating Makar Sankranti today at the office with multiple versions of the classic ‘Til Ke Ladoo’ (Sesame & jaggery sweets).
We took a vote and here’s the best (and obviously healthiest) recipe for you to try! These are free of refined sugar, contain a generous dollop of protein (peanuts and peanut butter) and are rich in calcium (sesame seeds and tahini). Whip up a batch and store them in an airtight container or in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
For the unfamiliar,
MAKAR SANKRANTI: A festival dedicated to the sun god, marks the end of winter and the beginning of the new harvest season. It is celebrated with festivities, bonfires, and sweets (of course!)
100gm white sesame seeds
¼ cup of raw peanuts
50g natural tahini spread
¼ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup jaggery powder
¼ tsp cardamom powder
- In a pan, dry roast the sesame seeds until golden brown. Next, add peanuts to the same pan and roast until toasted and shiny. Stir continuously.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the coconut until everything is mixed evenly.
- Add this mixture to the grinder, along with jaggery powder, Tahini spread and Peanut Butter. Blend until a dough-like paste is formed.
- Last add in the cardamom powder.
- Shape the dough into round ladoos and leave for 2 hours to set. Enjoy!