We believe holidays are for indulgence and celebration and to this cause – Diwali always brings with it a ladoo (or three!!)
While we don’t suggest that you skip the ladoos, we will recommend adding a healthier twist! Read on to see how you can make your own better for you boondi ladoos with wholesome ingredients like jaggery, cashew butter and ghee.
1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp baking soda
Salt, a pinch
¼ tsp clove powder
1 tbsp palm brown sugar
2 tsp ghee
1 cup oil, for frying
3-4 pods crushed cardamom (elaichi)
1 cup jaggery, powdered
Water, as needed
1. In a large bowl mix the besan, turmeric, baking soda and salt. Add ¾ cup water and mix well. The batter should be pourable.
2. Heat 1 cup oil in a pan. Use a perforated spoon and while holding it over the oil, drop batter through the perforations into the pan. Fry lightly.
3. Heat jaggery powder and ½ cup water on heat until a syrup is formed. Filter and reheat again.
4. In a bowl add the fried boondi, clove powder and the jaggery syrup. Mix well.
5. Next, lightly grind this mixture in a blender until it is coarse but not smooth.
6. Heat the ghee in a pan and add raisins and cardamom. Sautee until raisins are slightly swollen. Add this to the boondi mixture along with cashew butter and palm sugar.
7. Mix the batter well with a spoon (or your hands). Form small balls and leave aside to set for 2 hours.
8. Garnish with saffron and cardamom. Enjoy!