What is Holi without some Thandai?!
For the unfamiliar,
THANDAI: A festive drink made on the occasion of Holi, using dry fruits, spices, milk and saffron.
HEALTHY ALMOND & CASHEW BUTTER THANDAI
1 tbsp black peppercorns
4-6 cardamom (elaichi) pods
½ tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp melon seeds
2 tbsp The Butternut Co Unsweetened Almond Butter
2 tbsp The Butternut Co Unsweetened Cashew Butter
1½ cup milk
3 tbsp sugar or sweetener of choice
¼ tsp rose water
A pinch of saffron, soaked in milk
Chopped dry fruit
- Soak the peppercorns, raisins, cardamom and seeds in water for 2-3 hours.
- Drain the water and add the spices to a blender with Almond Butter and Cashew Butter. Grind the mixture to a smooth paste.
- Add the milk to a pan and bring to a boil. Next add sweetener, rose water and saffron. Mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the pre- prepared paste to the pan and mix well on slow heat.
- Refrigerate until chilled. Pour into glasses and top with the garnish. Enjoy!