These past few weeks have been quite nostalgia-filled. I’ve been taking trips down memory lane. Returning to favourite past-times and childhood loves. Everything from books to films and songs to foods. In times of much needed comfort and reprieve, nothing is more healing than re-visiting old-favourites past. One can never truly outgrow them. It’s not that we’ve ever stopped enjoying these favorites from our early years, but like everything else in life, they just got lost somewhere in the process of growing up.
This brings me to these buckwheat waffles with an heirloom cherry tomato salad.
My favourite childhood memory is of savoury pancakes made with buckwheat or chickpea flour, with mint yogurt. And these waffles are my rendition of those beautiful Sunday breakfasts.
These savoury waffles are made with buckwheat and pearl millet flour, although you could skip pearl millet, or you could add chickpea flour instead. I find that the combination of both the alternate flours gives a more nutty and toasted taste. More textured, and substantial, if that’s even possible. The additions of fresh herb yogurt and bursts of sourness from the cherry tomatoes has to be one of my favourite things about these waffles. So juicy, but also tangy! And just layered with complex texture and flavour. And with a generous dollop of peanut butter sauce – incredibly addictive!
GET COOKING! is a collaboration by Simran Tandon from @baked.happily.ever.after with @thebutternutco where you will learn how to make delicious dishes made with ingredients that are #BetterForYou
For the waffles:
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 2 eggs
• 1 tablespoons honey
• 1 1/2 cup Buckwheat flour (can use whole wheat flour)
• 1/2 cup pearl millet
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 green chilli chopped
• Fresh parsley chopped, handful
• 300 gm or big bowl
• of cherry tomatoes
• Few basil leaves
For the Yogurt Dip:
• 1 cup yogurt
• 1 clove of garlic
• 3-4 tablespoons of any fresh herbs
• Salt to taste
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and honey. Next add the buckwheat flour and pearl millet flour. These waffles are very forgiving, you can make them with any flour that’s available – whole wheat, chickpea, foxtail millet. Just make sure not to play with the quantity.
2. Next add the oil, baking powder and salt – and stir until the mixture is just combined. It’s ok if the batter is a little lumpy at this stage. Stir in the chilli and your herbs. Allow the batter to sit for 5-10 minutes.
3. Preheat your waffle iron.
4. Meanwhile, make the salad. In a small bowl take the sliced cherry tomatoes, throw in a few basil leaves and stir together with some olive oil and salt to taste.
5. Prepare the yogurt dip (see steps below).
6. Cook the waffles according to your waffle iron’s directions.
7. To assemble, take your warm waffle and add a dollop of herb yogurt. Now layer on the tomato salad and some fresh arugula
8. Finish off with a drizzle of some peanut butter sauce.
Yogurt Dip :
1. Drain off the excess liquid from the yogurt. You can also strain it through a muslin cloth.
2. Beat it with minced garlic and chopped fresh herbs (I used parsley and mint).
3. Add salt and let chill for sometime before you serve.